Monday, August 24, 2009

Off and Running!

WOW! What a terrific first day! It was great seeing the gathering area filled up with groups. There was an excitement in the air as we saw many new faces come through our doors. Many of you have since met in your homes, and I look forward to hearing how things went.
Tonight we have our first Wednesday Night Groups. It'll be a little different because we're moving into the classrooms while the children and youth take over the rest of the building for their kick-off. We'll be there to help direct traffic and get people where they need to go.

Here's a verse that has stood out to me the last couple days:
Psalm 73:2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold.

David recognized at this point in his life that he was slipping. Envy had begun to make it's way into his life. As leaders, we constantly need to evaluate our lives. Like David, we need to be able to recognize a slip here, or a misstep there. We need others around us that have permission to point out our slips.
Notice in verse 17 what it was that helped David recognize where he was at:

Psalm 73:17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny.

When he met with God he then understood what would happen to those whom he was envious of. He saw where his own position with God was at. That led him to later say:

Psalm 73:28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.

"It is good to be near God!" Let's learn from one of the great leaders of the past. Knowing that when we draw near to God, seek Him, find "refuge" in Him, we can't help to tell of His deeds.

What great deeds have you seen God do in your life or in your group?

No comments:

Post a Comment